A Timeline of Symphony Hall
"The hall is at heart a technical building—one of America's first—and its technical excellence is at the level of genius." ~Paul Spencer Byard in The Genius of Symphony Hall: A Legacy for the Future
Although the architectural features that made Symphony Hall an unusually versatile and acoustically superior building have remained largely untouched (except for needed repairs), the Hall has adapted over the past 125 years to changing audience needs. The main entrance was moved to Massachusetts Avenue and prior foyers were converted to lounge spaces; an additional entrance on Huntington was added back when the Cohen Wing was renovated. In 2005, concerns for accessibility prompted a renovation of the main lobby.
Below is a timeline that outlines the major milestones, renovations, acquisitions and additions in the history of Symphony Hall.
Exterior of Symphony Hall during the 1998-1999 season.
Photograph by Stu Rosner.
-
1852
View of the Boston Music Hall's main entrance in Hamilton Place, from the Boston Sunday Herald, April 24, 1892.
Boston Music Hall is completed. Will become the first home of the BSO.
-
1881
The Boston Symphony Orchestra with conductor George Henschel, 1881-1882 Season
Photographic Collage by James Notman
Henry Lee Higginson establishes the BSO and pays the annual deficit until 1918.
-
1892
Plot plan of the area surrounding the intersection of Huntington Avenue and West Chester Park (now Massachusetts Avenue) before the land for Symphony Hall was purchased.
BSO founder Henry Lee Higginson and three close associates purchase a vacant lot in a fast-developing section to the west of downtown—the Back Bay—at the intersection of Huntington Avenue and West Chester Park (now Massachusetts Avenue). Architect Charles McKim accepts commission.
-
1899
Sketch of Symphony Hall under construction, 1899. Sketch by Vernon Howe Bailey, gift of Margo Miller.
Groundbreaking for construction of Symphony Hall is held without ceremony on June 12, 1899 under direction of chief builder, Orlando W. Norcross.
-
1900
Symphony Hall exterior showing the corner of Massachusetts Avenue and Huntington Ave, ca. 1900. Photographer unknown.
September 20, 1900 – Symphony Hall is completed at a total cost of $771,000.
-
1900
Autographed program for the inaugural concert in Symphony Hall on October 15, 1900.
October 15, 1900 – Symphony Hall inaugural concert.
-
1918
A headline from the Boston Globe (April 29, 1918) regarding the resignation of BSO founder Henry Lee Higginson and the formation of the orchestra's Board of Trustees.
Nine prominent Boston citizens form the Orchestra’s first Board of Trustees to ensure the continuation of the BSO.
-
1941
Exterior view of Symphony Hall, Huntington Avenue entrance after the Huntington Avenue underpass was completed, ca. 1947. Photographer unknown.
Completion of the Huntington Avenue underpass (WPA project).
-
1949
Organist E. Power Biggs and designer G. Donald Harrison viewing the Symphony Hall organ pipes in production at the Aeolian-Skinner plant. Photographer unknown.
Aeolian-Skinner organ is installed.
-
1972
The Cabot-Cahners room in October 1972.
Photograph by Jet Commercial Photographers.
Carpeting added and lighting refreshed in the corridors surrounding the auditorium.
The foyer on the first balcony is dedicated as the Cabot-Cahners Room.
-
1973
Audience members read and relax in the Edward Hatch Memorial Room at Symphony Hall.
Photographer unknown.
Huntington Avenue Lobby is refurbished into a patron lounge, called the Edward Hatch Memorial Room; primary entrance shifts from Huntington Avenue to Massachusetts Avenue; air conditioning is installed.
-
1975
The glass elevator in Symphony Hall
The first passenger elevator is installed in Symphony Hall on September 25: a glass-enclosed, hydraulically operated, six-passenger cage designed by the firm of Hugh Stubbins and Associates, Inc. Funds were provided by Mrs. Edward Taft.
-
1979
A view of Symphony Hall and the adjacent buildings along Huntington Avenue in March 1978.
The BSO acquired the properties that would be turned into the Cohen Wing in 1979, shortly after this photo was taken.
Photographer unknown.
The Cohen Wing/Annex (251-261 Huntington Ave) is acquired by the BSO.
-
1988
New analog/digital lighting system is installed.
-
1990
The newly renovated Cohen Wing at Symphony Hall, September 1990.
Photograph by Roger Farrington.
Renovation of Cohen Wing is completed and opens in the fall of 1990, housing offices, the Symphony Shop, rooms for meetings and functions, and display cases for the orchestra’s collection of early instruments and materials from the BSO Archives.
-
1993
Huntington Plaza (263-289 Huntington Ave) is acquired by the BSO.
-
1996
Peter Wexler Concert Lighting (AP14).
-
1999
The National Historic Landmark plaque on display at a Symphony Hall rededication event in October 2000.
In the background stand Keith Lockhart, Seiji Ozawa, and John Williams.
Photograph by Miro Vintoniv.
Symphony Hall is designated a U.S. National Historic Landmark.
-
2000
BSO Maestros Lockhart, Williams, Ozawa. Keith Lockhart, John Williams, and Seiji Ozawa play the piano during the Symphony Hall Centennial Ball, October 12, 2000. Photograph by Miro Vintoniv.
Symphony Hall celebrates its centennial anniversary.
-
2001
Plot plan of 2 Westland Avenue
The BSO purchases the “Bank” or “North” Building at 2 Westland Avenue.
-
2004
Organ pipes laid out on the floor of Symphony Hall. Photograph by Peter Vanderwarker.
Two-year renovation of the organ is completed.
-
2005
The newly renovated Massachusetts Avenue Lobby during the ribbon-cutting ceremony on September 6, 2005.
Photograph by Miro Vintoniv.
Massachusetts Avenue Lobby is made more accessible through the relocation of box office windows to the entry level and addition of a wheelchair lift; space is expanded. (In 2014, area is dedicated as the Kelly Lobby).
-
2006
A newly refurbished stage floor gleams in August 2006.
Photographer unknown.
The stage floor is replaced.
-
2008
The clerestory windows of Symphony Hall being opened for the first time since the 1940s.
Photograph by Michael J. Lutch.
The clerestory windows are unshuttered.
The Hatch Room is rededicated as O’Block/Kay Room; renovation of lounge space.
-
2025
The carpeting and lighting are refreshed in the corridors surrounding the auditorium.